Careers Department & Gateway Programme
Robyn Bear, Head of Department/Careers Advisor
& Marie Paulsen, Gateway Co-ordinator
The Kaipara College Careers department is located in Room 4 (off the atrium) and is open 8.45 am-3.10 pm five days a week (outside these hours by appointment). We are also open every interval and lunchtime. The Careers Centre can be contact by email [email protected] or by phone (09) 420 8640 x835.
What services do we provide?
Teaching programmes at all levels
Year 9 Visit to careers room, introductory talk and Planit workbook
Year 10 Careers module taught through mentoring plus class discussion with careers adviser.
Year 11 Careers lesson – passions/talents/ideals, MB Simpsons personality profile, jobs by interest, compilation of 10 career options
Year 12 Interview with a Careers Adviser plus ongoing support
Year 13 Interview with a Careers Adviser plus ongoing support
Careers Expo Visit – Yr 12/13
Seminar programme – weekly seminars on different topics – Yr 12/13 plus some offerings for Yr 9 – 11s
Maori and Pasifika initiatives and careers days – all levels
A range of experience day visits
Other services offered
- information on courses/entry criteria for all tertiary institutions
- application forms for tertiary and help re filling them in
- scholarship information (money available for tertiary study)
- student allowance/loan/fees free information
- youth guarantee information and courses available
- computer programmes and diagnostic tests to help students decide what careers are appropriate for them: Career Quest, Career services website
- CV service
- job interview information and mock interview appointments available
- careers facebook page to spread careers information – Careers at Kaipara College
How do students make an appointment?
Students can call in at Room 4 and make an appointment directly with a Careers Adviser or turn up in an interval or lunchtime when appointments are not required.
All Year 12 and 13 students will be called up for an appointment in Terms 1-3 to discuss their career pathways and goals.
What is Gateway?
The Gateway programme is designed to strengthen the pathway for senior students to progress from school to the workplace or tertiary study. It provides students with structured workplace learning, across a range of industries and businesses, while they continue to study at school.
Students are given the opportunity to 'test drive' their career choices while gaining valuable real life experience. Gateway gives the students confidence to make a smooth transition from school to work. The Gateway programme also requires that students complete 20 industry based credits.
What are the costs associated with Gateway?
Gateway is fully funded by the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) - there is no cost to learners.
Who is eligible for the Gateway programme?
- Senior students in Years 12 and 13
- Students who have a good attendance record
- Students who can keep up to date with academic studies while on placement (Gateway is in addition to five other subjects)
- Students who have a desire to explore a particular career path
- Students who are ready to enter the working world but want some experience first
- Students who have whānaul approval and support
- Students are carefully screened before admittance to the programme
- Acceptance is by way of an application and selection process and the School reserves the right to select suitable pupils.
What are the School's responsibilities?
- The School will provide ongoing support for students and employers
- Where needed, the School will assist the student in finding a suitable placement and with transport to and from the site visit.
- Students will receive Health and Safety training prior to work placement commencing, as well as Site Safe training if necessary
What are some of the benefits to students who participate in Gateway?
- The programme creates valuable relationships with industry professionals
- Students gain confidence and have ongoing enthusiasm for their education
- Students learn industry-based skills and gain valuable experience and knowledge
- Gateway gives students the opportunity to make informed choices about their future direction
- Students gain more confidence to experience life after school
- Students have the opportunity to gain extra credits to go on their NZQA Record of Learning
- Students will gain a realistic workplace experience
- They also have the opportunity to blend school study with workplace learning and experience
If you will be a Year 12 or 13 student in 2022 and think you might be interested in the Gateway Programme, please complete this expression of interest form.
Gateway Coordinator - Marie Paulsen
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 09-420 8640 x839
Hours: 8:30am - 3:30pm