Careers Department & Gateway Programme
Robyn Bear, Head of Department/Careers Advisor & Marie Paulsen, Gateway Co-ordinator
The Kaipara College Careers department is located in Room 4 (off the atrium) and is open 8.45 am-3.10 pm five days a week (outside these hours by appointment). We are also open every interval and lunchtime. Telephone (09) 420 8640 x835.
What services do we provide?
Teaching programmes at all levels
Year 9 Visit to careers room, introductory talk and Planit workbook
Year 10 Careers module taught through mentoring plus class discussion with careers adviser.
Year 11 Careers lesson – passions/talents/ideals, MB Simpsons personality profile, jobs by interest, compilation of 10 career options
Year 12 Interview with a Careers Adviser plus ongoing support
Year 13 Interview with a Careers Adviser plus ongoing support
Careers Expo Visit – Yr 12/13
Seminar programme – weekly seminars on different topics – Yr 12/13 plus some offerings for Yr 9 – 11s
Maori and Pasifika initiatives and careers days – all levels
A range of experience day visits
Other services offered
- information on courses/entry criteria for all tertiary institutions
- application forms for tertiary and help re filling them in
- scholarship information (money available for tertiary study)
- student allowance/loan/fees free information
- youth guarantee information and courses available
- computer programmes and diagnostic tests to help students decide what careers are appropriate for them: Career Quest, Career services website
- CV service
- job interview information and mock interview appointments available
- careers facebook page to spread careers information – Careers at Kaipara College
How do students make an appointment?
Students can call in at Room 4 and make an appointment directly with a Careers Adviser or turn up in an interval or lunchtime when appointments are not required.
All Year 12 and 13 students will be called up for an appointment in Terms 1-3 to discuss their career pathways and goals.